When my husband & I were married in 1990…
we received some great wedding gifts. One gift that was never used was a slow cooker. I kept that crock pot for about 10 years and finally sold it in a garage sale. I didn’t grow up with a mother that used a slow cooker. I had no idea what to put it in, what to make in it. So away it went. But as the years have gone by and our family grew from 3 children to 8 literally overnight, I have needed to find different ways to make a lot of food at one time. Friends of mine swear by cooking in the slow cooker, so I went out and bought one about 5 years ago. I admit my education has been a slow process. I have my favorite recipes I make in it. The internet is a great source of information and I use it to also find great recipes. I know I have not used my slow cooker to its full potential, but I am working on it! 🙂
Ribs!! I have always slow cooked my ribs in the oven, but I have to tell you I found the most amazing, yummy and easy baby back rib slow cooker recipe this week. No doubt some of you probably already knew this recipe, but if you haven’t tried it, I encourage you to make them soon!
Slow Cooker Ribs:
- Babyback pork loin ribs
- Dry rub (my recipe below)
- BBQ Sauce – Original Chef’s Gourmet BBQ Sauce or Sweet Baby Ray’s are my favorites. (of course you can always make your own)
- Crock Pot (Slow cooker)
Dry Rub Recipe:
- 2 1/2 Tbs. chili powder
- 2 Tbs. ground cumin
- 2 Tbs. ground coriander
- 1 Tbs kosher salt
- 1/2 Tbs. paprika
- 1/2 Tbs. dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne
In a small bowl stir together all the spice rub ingredients. (I usually make extra and store in an airtight container)
- Cut the rib racks in half, rub spice rub on front and back of ribs.
- Layer ribs into slow cooker, lather each layer with bbq sauce, I pour a little extra on top layer. I layered three half racks of ribs in mine. (no other liquid is needed)
- Set slow cooker to low for 8 hours. (I don’t use the high setting because they come out better cooking on low)
- Once the ribs are done cooking in the slow cooker, take them out and place on foil covered pan , lather on more bbq sauce and place in the oven on broil for about 3-5 minutes, depending on your broiler. Broil until bubbly and the sauce has caramelized.
Enjoy your fall off the bone, easy, yummy ribs!! My family raved over these, I am sure yours will too!
“People who love to eat are always the best people.”
― Julia Child